Grandma's House
And after....Before....
And after...
Many of the boxes held traveling "stuff"--every pamphlet and scrap from every trip taken was still in the house. She also had many boxes labeled "Countertop" and a year, filled with all the things from her kitchen countertop that she didn't go through, but kept, separated each week by a piece of newspaper as her filing system! She was also METICULOUS about labeling everything--from each outfit (what to wear it with or which jewelry matched) to which quilt belonged to great-grandma Meyer for her wedding, EVERYTHING had a little hand written note attached!
Above is my Aunt Betty, cousin Jessie, and me and Mom--it was a long hard week of work, but I'm so thankful we were there together (mom's sister Ruth is snapping the photo)! Without them, this truly would have been impossible!
Check out these celings in the barn! Someday I want to build a house and have ceilings that look like this!!
So all in all, it was a good bonding trip with Mom--hard to be away from Chris and Ry for so long, but the job needed to be done. We got to choose some items to take with us too, which was really special. I also learned just how important it is to be organized, hang on to those things that are truly important and toss the rest, and to pass down the important memories. I am so thankful for a great family and the chance to have a little closure from Grandma's passing--it was a difficult week at times, but worth it in the end.



1 comments:
Whoa, you have updated your blog a LOT--so much going on in your life! Those pictures make me want to move to Iowa, or somewhere green with pretty barns and fruit growing wild. Glad you are back safe.
OH, and you would be the first person I called if I ever needed a huge clean-out job at my house...I've seen what you can do with TAKS materials. =)
Post a Comment