Friday, January 30, 2009

Soccer Season

So soccer fans--I hope you are geared up 'cause it is officially soccer season. I am signed up as an administrator on duty for all of Chris's home games, which is a good deal for both of us, as I get to see him and watch the games AND I don't have duty for things like basketball (hate it) or baseball (yawn). I do have a prime seat this year. The pressbox! It is not only warm and cozy up here, but there is freaking INTERNET! So, I'm here, with my laptop, watching the game. I worked on school work for the JV game and now have time for, you guessed it--BLOGGING! Ahh...the joys of technology.

Additionally, my mother in law Megan has been so great and is watching Ryan during all of these games, which is truly a great help--thanks, Megan!

On another note, one of Megan's good friends who owns Jim-n-i in downtown Bryan (get down there girls, it's good stuff at good prices!) told me about this photographer who takes AMAZING photos and gives classes so you can too! I'm going tomorrow for a class in art. I'll let you guys know how it goes! It is supposed to be an overnight deal, but with the game, I'm missing half of it (bummer). Oh, hey.....awww...nearly a goal for the Tigers! So anyway, let me tell you a little about my day:

1. checked my calendar, saw just one meeting at 3pm and the soccer games tonight. Hooray!
2. made a list of about 12 things I really needed to get done today since I should have time for them.
3. went out to duty before school
4. came back to my office to make passes for students for 2nd period, did 1st thing on my list (getting together Sat. d-hall list for tomorrow), answered emails for school, sighed happily because I just knew it was going to be a great day.
5. Go out to duty for 2nd period--student spits from 2nd floor to first, walk him to office, start to look up the footage since girls said it hit them
6. Day starts to fall apart: teacher comes in very upset at another teacher, I see a few students, folders start to pile up for phone calls home, I get pulled into a surprise meeting, etc.
7. I see a few kids 3rd period and hope I can get back on track.
8. Lunch--my day is shot. I spend the rest of the day with searching for drugs, sending students to alternative campus, scarfing down half a sandwich and chips while tugging a trash can around the lunch room to be sure kids don't leave things a mess, counseling students crying in the bathroom and students refusing to go to class because they don't like their teacher.
9. 3pm: I have my meeting. The only thing on my calendar. It is a good meeting, and one of just two things I got accomplished from my list that I needed to get done.
10. Come back to campus for after school duty--great weather outside and pleasant, until the fight that is....
11. Get the heck outta the office and over to the game! (thank heavens!)

Now here I am, soccer still going on, and it seems so long ago already that my day crashed. Amazing what this sport will do for ya! Go Tigers! : ) (and Yay--we just scored too!)

2 comments:

Courtney S. said...

Just another day in paradise, eh? It did seem a little tense on campus on Friday. There was almost a fight outside of my classroom but one of my on the ball kiddos told me what was going on and we got it diffused. Hope it wasn't the same kids after school! Also, there were lots of subs in our hallway this week, so that always makes for some extra fun!

Took my test yesterday...I think I did pretty well. I know one question that I missed for sure (something about school lunch nutrition) but most of the others I feel pretty good about or have NO CLUE! I'll tell you about the really funny question in person..it was HILARIOUS, as in I actually laughed out loud and got dirty looks.

April said...

Very interesting post, Kelly. Thanks for sharing about your day - I can't even begin to imagine how busy you are (and other principals) during the day. I often wonder how you "get stuff done" because you have to be everywhere - observing, walk-throughs, hallways, drug searches, responding to all sorts of things, and then there's that other job that requires you to be in your office and see students!

Very interesting - and I hope you had a good weekend after that kind of Friday!