I know I know--why is it that I take so long between posts you ask? Well I've always had this little voice that says that we're not that interesting...I'm not a great storyteller (usually because I have such a forgetful mind that I don't remember things until someone says "remember that time"...and then I'm off and running). So here I am at a conference in Dallas and I see now how people become blog followers for the first time. It's quiet here. I have the laptop and I'm comfy in the bed (this place is amazing! The Adolphus Hotel in downtown Dallas). I have 10 minutes until we meet downstairs to eat at one of my favorite places--The Blue Goose (delicious margaritas)--and it has been so nice to check my friends' blogs and post comments too. I wish I knew more of my friends' blog addresses because I know they are out there.
But all that makes me ask what some of you may think is a very silly question.........more people do Facebook than blogging. Why is that? What is it about Facebook that makes it so great? Is it because people can find you from long ago? Here's why I ask: I'm very thankful for my friends and family right now. Did I have friends before moving to College Station? Sure, but not that many that I necessarily "miss" now that I am at this point in my life. So guide me if I'm crazy...why is Facebook so popular? Can I ignore people I don't care to talk to? Is that terrible to even say?
Anyway, thank you to those of you who still check back occasionally and read. I always vow to do better about posting more often and then have a hard time following through (I like the down time spent with my husband and Ryan so much it is hard to justify time on a computer sometimes). Maybe you guys can convince me of this Facebook phenomenon, but (epiphany) maybe I blog because I can talk about my family--Facebook is just about me and I don't think I am interesting enough to support a site just about me! : P
$250 Bucks and Worth Every Penny
2 weeks ago



4 comments:
I completely agree with you about Facebook! I just don't miss anyone that much - I'm very happy with the people in my life now. That being said, I have facebook. (haha, right?) I let my former students be my friends after they graduate, and with little to no effort I get to keep up with where their lives take them. THAT is really exciting to me! Give in to the pressure! Join us!
I think you got the wrong idea about FB(as did I before checking it out!!), it's ALL about the OTHER people, their photos of their family etc...You can I guess use it as you wish, I've gotten in touch with my 1st grade teacher and my cheerleading coach from high school, both of whom were AWESOME roll models and it's nice to be able to thank them after all these years..so I agree with StromyHickman...it' nice to be able to say something nice to someone from your past and make their day a little brighter!! If it weren't for your past, you wouldn't be whom you are today? right?
I've recently fallen into the Facebook black hole. Aside from my current (awesome) group of friends, the people I am most interested in catching up with are those who I wasn't especially good friends with in earlier years, but had some major life experiences with. My childhood next door neighbor. My mom's best friend's daughter. etc. Most of the people from high school, not so much.
I am with you. I haven't gotten into Facebook because I fear the time it will suck form my life, time I really don't have. But I do love reading good writing, and I am spending some down time right now, reading your blog, and Stormy's and Erin's too. That is much more fun than I imagine Facebook would be.
Post a Comment